Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Table of contents for Science meets alternative medicine : what the evidence says about unconventional treatments / edited by Wallace Sampson & Lewis Vaughn.
ORIGINS AND TRENDS -
1. In Defense of Scientific Medicine
2. The Braid of "Alternative Medicine"
3. Science, Politics, and Alternative Medicine:
What Physicians Should Know
PSYCHOLOGY AND BELIEF
4. Alternative Medicine and the Psychology of Belief
James E. Alcock
6 SCIENCE MEETS ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
5. Social and Judgmental Biases That Make
Inert Treatments Seem to Work
Barry L. Beyerstein
6. The Mischief-Making of Ideomotor Action
THERAPIES AND THEORIES
7. Andrew Weil: Public Perception and Reality
Arnold S. Relman
Barry L. Beyerstein and Susan Downie
9. Perception of Conventional Sensory Cues as an Alternative
to the Postulated "Human Energy Field" of Therapeutic Touch
Rebecca Long, Paul Bernhardt, and William Evans
10. The Colloidal Silver Fraud
11. Medical Conspiracies and the Myth of the "Hidden Cure"
ETHICS, FRAUD, AND RISKS
12. The Ethics of Promoting Unproven Treatments
13. The Ethics of Alternative Medicine
Lawrence J. Schneidennrman
14. Therapeutic Touch: What Could Be the Harm?
Donal P. O'Mathuna