Table of contents for Art versus industry? : new perspectives on visual and industrial cultures in nineteenth-century Britain / edited by Kate Nichols, Rebecca Wade and Gabriel Williams.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
1. Art versus industry? An introduction - Kate Nichols and Rebecca Wade
Part I: The art/industry divide: nineteenth-century representations
2. Lace, ladies and labours lost: the meanings of handicraft in Victorian and Edwardian Britain - Lara Kriegel
3. Art, accuracy and the anaglyptograph: a debate about the mechanical translation of sculptures - Gabriel Williams
4. 'Why are the painted windows in the industrial department?': the classification of stained glass at the London and Paris International Exhibitions, 1851-1900- Jasmine Allen
5. William Blake, the arts and crafts movement and the mythography of manufacture - Colin Trodd
Part II: Art and new technologies
6. Repetition, virtuality and mechanical pattern: the significance of the kaleidoscope for the 'fine and useful arts' - Nicole Bush
7. 'Mere adventurers in drawing': engineers and draughtsmen as visual technicians in nineteenth-century Britain - Frances Robertson
8. Industrialised graphic technologies in symbiosis with the world of art: the Illustrated London News and the Graphic c.1870-90 - Tom Gretton
9. True ornament? The art and industry of electric lighting in the home, 1889-1902 - Graeme Gooday and Abigail Harrison Moore
Part III: Resituating design reform and art education
10. Building a better class of craft practitioner: ideals and realities in sculptural practice and the building industry c.1880-1910 - Ann Compton
11. 'A fraught challenge to the status quo': the 1883-4 Calcutta International Exhibition, conceptions of art and industry and the politics of world fairs - Renate Dohmen
12. The industry of colour: art, design and dyeing between Britain and India, 1851-96 - Natasha Eaton
13. Surface deceits: Owen Jones and John Ruskin on the ornament of the Alhambra - Lara Eggleton
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Art and industry -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.