Table of contents for Entangled urbanism : slum, gated community, and shopping mall in Delhi and Gurgaon / Sanjay Srivastava.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Introduction: Slums, Criminal Suburbs, Urban Bodies and 'Superb Housing Schemes' for People with 'Modern Outlook'
Part I: Spaces of the Periphery, Subjects of the Centre
1. A Hijra, A Female Pradhan, and a Real Estate Dealer: Slum Lives Between the Market, the State and 'Community'
2. Duplicity, Intimacy, Community: An Ethnography of ID Cards, Permits, and Other Fake Documents
3. At First Remove: Rumours of a Demolition
Part II: Post-Nationalism, Bhagidars, Consumer-Citizens, the Mohulla, Bedrooms, and Kitchens
4. Post-nationalism: Urban Spaces, Consumerism, and Middle-Class Activism in Delhi
5. National Identity, Bedrooms, and Kitchens
6. Plenitude, Decrepitude and Unruly Villagers. Or, 'People Want a Community, But Not Like a Mohulla'
7. 'Lifestyle Choices in Harmony': Gated Biographies
Part III: Consuming Cultures and Urban Spaces: Between the Basti and the Mall
8. Classifying Spaces, Specifying Classes: Citizens, the State, and Disney-Divinity in Delhi
9. High Streets, Low Places and Indian Roots: Shopping Malls and the Narratives of Space
10. Shop Talk: Shopping Mall Publics
11. 'Revolution Forever': Consumerism and Object Lessons for the Urban Poor
List of Plates
About the Author
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Cities and towns -- India -- Delhi.
Cities and towns -- India -- Gurgaon.
Urbanization -- India -- Delhi.
Urbanization -- India -- Gurgaon.