Table of contents for The crisis of the absolute monarchy : France from Old Regime to revolution / edited by Julian Swann and Joel Felix.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
1. Introduction: The Crisis of the Absolute Monarchy, Julian Swann
2. How, and how not, to use the concept of crisis in the reign of Louis XVI, Jean-Philippe Poussou
3. The End of a Golden Age or the Implosion of a False Absolutism? The Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia from Absolutism to Revolution, 1685-1814, Michael Broers
4. From servant of the king to "idol of the nation": The breakdown of personal monarchy in Louis XVI's France, Julian Swann
5. The marechal de Castries and the pre-revolution, Munro Price
6. The problem with Necker's Compte Rendu au Roi (1781), Joel Felix
7. Necker and aristocratic constitutionalism: the British connection, Nigel Aston
8. The Culture of War in Europe, 1750-1815, David A. Bell
9. The Austrian Alliance, the Seven Years' War, and the Emergence of a French 'National' Foreign Policy, 1756-1790, Thomas E. Kaiser
10. A Model of Conduct from the Age of Chivalry?: Honour, International Decline and the End of the Bourbon Monarchy, Hamish Scott
11. Franco-British naval rivalry and the crisis of the monarchy (1759-1789), Olivier Chaline
12. 'Complaints Lost in the Wind'. French India and the Crisis of the Absolute Monarchy: a Global Dimension?, Mike Rapport
13. The Maison militaire du Roi and the disintegration of the Old Regime, Guy Rowlands
14. The crisis of the nobility at the twilight of the monarchy, Michel Figeac
15. The making of a bourgeois identity? Urban histories and their historians in eighteenth-century France, Clarisse Coulomb
16. William 'Bill' Doyle and the Origins of the French Revolution, T.C.W. Blanning
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
France -- Politics and government -- 18th century.
France -- History -- Louis XVI, 1774-1793.
France -- Politics and government -- 1589-1789.
Monarchy -- France -- History -- 18th century.
Louis -- XVI, -- King of France, -- 1754-1793.
Necker, Jacques, -- 1732-1804.
Seven Years' War, 1756-1763.
Doyle, William, -- 1942- -- Origins of the French Revolution.