Table of contents for Political languages in the age of extremes / edited by Willibald Steinmetz.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Part I. Introduction
1. New Perspectives on the Study of Language and Power in the Short Twentieth Century, Willibald Steinmetz
2. Politics as Linguistic Performance: Function and 'Magic' of Communicative Practices, Angelika Linke
Part II. The Rise of the Dictators and the Semantics of Leadership
3. Fascistese: The Religious Dimensions of Political Language in Fascist Italy, Emilio Gentile
4. Visualizing Political Language in the Stalin Cult: The Georgian Art Exhibition at the Tretyakov Gallery, Judith Devlin
Part III. Mind your Words! Policing Linguistic Boundaries (1920s-40s)
5. Revolutionary Selves: The Russian Intelligentsia from Old to New, Igal Halfin
6. Faced with Death: Gestapo Interrogations and Clemency Pleas in High Treason Trials by the National Socialist Volksgerichtshof, Isabel Richter
7. Policing Tonal Boundaries: Constructing the Nazi/German Enemy on the Wartime BBC, Sian Nicholas
8. Keep Quiet . . . But Tell!! Political Language and the 'Alert Citizen' in Second World War America, Olaf Stieglitz
9. Telling the Truth: Counter-Discourses in Diaries under Totalitarian Regimes (Nazi Germany and Early GDR), Heidrun Kamper
Part IV. The Growth of Linguistic Awareness in the Cold War Era
10. The Unknown and the Familiar Enemy: The Semantics of Anti-Communism in the USA and Germany, 1945-75, Thomas Mergel
11. Semantic Strategies of Inclusion and Exclusion in the German Democratic Republic (1949-89), Ralph Jessen
12. War over Words: The Search for a Public Language in West Germany, Martin H. Geyer
13. The Return of Language: Radicalism and the British Historians 1960-90, Gareth Stedman Jones
14. Suppression of the Nazi Past, Coded Languages, and Discourse of Silence: Applying the Discourse-Historical Approach to Post-War Anti-Semitism in Austria, Ruth Wodak
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Communication in politics -- History -- 20th century.
Language and languages -- Political aspects -- History -- 20th century.
Power (Social sciences) -- History -- 20th century.
Sociolinguistics -- History -- 20th century.