Table of contents for Ethnonationalism in India : a reader / edited by Sanjib Baruah.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Introduction, Sanjib Baruah
Part I: Debating the Indian Record
1. Diversity, Democracy, and Devolution in India, Kanti Bajpai
2. Elite Interests, Popular Passions, and Social Power in the Language Politics of India, Paul R. Brass
3. Reassessing 'Conventional Wisdom': Ethnicity, Ethnic Conflict and India as an Ethnic Democracy, Gurharpal Singh
Part II: Kashmir: Ethnonational Conflict and the Legacy of Partition
4. Three Compromised Nationalisms: Why Kashmir has been a Problem, Ashutosh Varshney
5. Explaining the Kashmir Insurgency: Political Mobilization and Institutional Decay, Sumit Ganguly
6. Kashmir, Sumantra Bose
Part III: Northeast India: Ethnonationalism in a Cultural Borderland
7. Confronting Constructionism: Ending the Naga War, Sanjib Baruah
8. Invention, Reinvention and Contestation: Politics of Identity in Assam, M.S. Prabhakara
9. Secessionism in Northeast India: Identity Wars or Crises of Legitimacy?, M. Sajjad Hassan
Part IV: Federal Design and Ethnonationalism
10. Constitutional Centring: Nation Formation and Consociational Federalism in India and Pakistan, Katherine Adeney
11. Federalism, Multi-national Societies, and Negotiating a Democratic 'State-Nation': A Theoretical Framework, the Indian Model, and a Tamil Case Study, Alfred C. Stepan
12. Integration through Internal Reorganization: Containing Ethnic Conflict in India, Maya Chadda
Part V: Consociational Theory and India
13. The Puzzle of Indian Democracy: A Consociational Interpretation, Arend Lijphart
14. India, Consociational Theory and Ethnic Violence, Steven Ian Wilkinson
Part VI: The Fate of Ethnonational Movements: Contextual Variables
15. Can Democracies Accommodate Ethnic Nationalism? Rise and Decline of Self-Determination Movements in India, Atul Kohli
16. Ethnicity and Pluralism: An Exploration with Reference to Indian Cases, Narendra Subramanian
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
India -- Ethnic relations -- Political aspects.
Nationalism -- India.