Publisher description for Elk river / Debra J. Mortensen.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Fur trade posts were established along the Upper Mississippi River between St. Anthony and St. Cloud during the first part of the 19th century. One of these trading posts was established by Pierre Bottineau on the bluffs just north of the mouth of the Elk River between Orono (upper town) and Elk River (lower town) in 1850. As the fur trade slowed, the logging industry took over and numerous sawmills sprung up along the rivers. Ard Godfrey, well known in the milling industry, established the first mill in Orono in 1851. As the township of Elk River grew, the population jumped from 7 people in 1849 to 134 in 1857. Ponds and gullies were drained and filled to make room for more businesses. In Elk River, learn about the Civil War soldiers, the dynamiting of the Blind Pig Saloon, the murder of Deputy Sheriff Ed Foley, devastating fires, and the Boxcar Murder, told through pictures and newspaper clippings.
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication: