Publisher description for Seguin and Guadalupe County / E. John Gesick Jr., Seguin-Guadalupe County Heritage Museum.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Originally named Walnut Springs in 1838, Seguin was renamed one year later after Mexican Texas Revolution hero Juan N. Seguin, who fought at the Alamo and the Battle of San Jacinto. The town of Seguin and the surrounding area have always been a crossroads for commerce--from the southeast Gulf Coast region throughout the rest of the state. Seguin's Texas Rangers initially provided security for frontier settlers, and many of the area's residents served in the U.S. military. From Austin to the U.S. Congress, Seguin's citizens have also served their country as representatives, state senators, and as governor. In the 21st century, Seguin continues to redefine itself as a leading business and manufacturing community while still retaining its agricultural roots. Seguin and Guadalupe County's achievements in education have been recognized at the national level for Texas Lutheran University, and by the state for its public school system. Longtime residents of Seguin and Guadalupe County remember their heritage with pride as they welcome newcomers to the area.
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication: