Table of contents for Wild rangelands : conserving wildlife while maintaining livestock in semi-arid ecosystems / edited by Johan du Toit, Richard Kock, and James Deutsch.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Foreword by Anthony R. E. Sinclair & George B. Schaller
1. Introduction: A review of rangeland conservation issues in an uncertain future (Monica L. Wrobel & Kent H. Redford).
Part I - Thematic Reviews
2. Riding the rangelands piggyback: a resilience approach to conservation management (Brian Walker).
3. Addressing the mismatches between livestock production and wildlife conservation across spatiotemporal scales and institutional levels (Johan T. du Toit).
4. Rangeland conservation and shrub encroachment: new perspectives on an old problem (Steven R. Archer).
5. Health and disease in wild rangelands (Richard Kock, Mike Kock, Sarah Cleaveland & Gavin Thomson).
6. Contemporary views of human-carnivore conflicts on wild rangelands (Alexandra Zimmermann, Nick Baker, Chloe Inskip, John D.C. Linnell, Silvio Marchini, John Odden, Greg Rasmussen & Adrian Treves).
7. Financial incentives for rangeland conservation: addressing the “show-us-the-money” challenge (Ray Victurine & Charles Curtin).
Part II – Case Studies
8. Biodiversity conservation in Australian tropical rangelands (Stephen T. Garnett, John C.Z. Woinarski, Gabriel M. Crowley, and Alex S. Kutt).
9. Livestock grazing and wildlife conservation in the American West: historical, policy, and conservation biology perspectives (Thomas L. Fleischner).
10. Guanaco management in Patagonian rangelands: a conservation opportunity on the brink of collapse
Ricardo Baldi, Andre;s Novaro, Marti;n Funes, Susan Walker, Pablo Ferrando, Mauricio Failla & Pablo Carmanchahi
11. Multiple use of Trans-Himalayan rangelands: reconciling human livelihoods with wildlife conservation (Charudutt Mishra, Sumanta Bagchi, Tsewang Namgail & Yash Veer Bhatnagar).
12. Herders and hunters in a transitional economy: the challenge of wildlife and rangeland management in post-socialist Mongolia (Katie M. Scharf, Mari;a E. Fernández-Gime;nez, Batjav Batbuyan & Sumiya Enkhbold).
13. Social and economic challenges for conservation in east African rangelands: land use, livelihoods and wildlife change in Maasailand (Katherine Homewood & Michael Thompson).
14. The future for wildlife on Kenya's rangelands: an economic perspective (Michael Norton-Griffiths & Mohammed Y. Said).
15. Synthesis: Local and global solutions to the challenge of keeping rangelands wild (James C. Deutsch).
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Grassland animals -- Conservation.
Livestock -- Environmental aspects.