Table of contents for Rhythms of life : enacting the world with the goddesses of Orissa / Frederique Apffel-Marglin.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Part I: Shakti: Regenerating the World through Illness, Death, and Female Sexuality
2. Types of Oppositions in Hindu Culture
3. Female Sexuality in the Hindu World
4. Who has the Potency?
5. Death and Regeneration: Brahmin and Non-Brahmin Narratives
6. Smallpox in two Systems of Knowledge
Part II: Deconstructing Modernist Categories: The 'Subaltern"; The 'Third World Woman'; The 'Sacred' History
7. Gender and the Unitary Self: Looking for the Subaltern in Coastal Orissa
8. Feminist Orientalism and Development
9. Secularism, Unicity, and Diversity: The Case of Haracandi's Grove
10. Rhythms of Life: Ritual, Time, and Historical Time
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Devadċasċis -- India -- Purċi.
Purċi (India) -- Religious life and customs.
Folk religion -- India -- Purċi.
Hinduism -- Rituals.