Quiz: How well do you know your brain?
1.When are the last neurons born in your brain?
a) before birth
b) the age of six
c) between the ages of 18 and 23
d) in old age
2. Which of the following strategies is the best one for overcoming jet lag?
a) taking melatonin the night after you arrive at your destination
b) avoiding daylight for several days
c) getting sunlight in the afternoon at your destination
d) sleeping with the lights on
3. Your brain uses about as much energy as
a) a refrigerator light
b) a laptop computer
c) an idling car
d) a car moving down a freeway
4. Which of the following activities before a test might help you to perform better? (you may choose more than one)
a) having a drink
b) having a cigarette
c) eating a candy bar
d) telling yourself with great conviction that you are good at this kind of test
5. You are in a noisy room, attempting to talk to your friend on your cell phone. To have a clearer conversation you should
a) talk more loudly
b) cover one ear and listen through the other
c) cover your ear when you talk
d) cover the mouthpiece when you listen
6. Which of the following is the hardest thing your brain does?
a) doing long division
b) looking at a photograph
c) playing chess
7. Memory starts to get worse in which decade of life?
8. Which activities kill neurons?
a) drinking three bottles of beer in an evening
b) smoking a joint
c) dropping acid
d) all of the above
e) none of the above
9. Which depiction of neurological damage is least realistic?
a) Guy Pearce’s character Leonard in Memento
b) Drew Barrymore’s character Lucy in 50 First Dates
c) Dora the Fish in Finding Nemo
d) John Nash in A Beautiful Mind
Answers: 1) d, 2) c, 3) a, 4) b and d, 5) d, 6) b, 7) a, 8) e, 9) b