Table of contents for Creating Black Americans : African-American history and its meanings, 1619 to the present / Nell Irvin Painter.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
1. Africa and Black Americans
2. Captives Transported, 1619-ca. 1850
3. A Diasporic People, 1630-ca. 1850
4. Those Who Were Free, ca. 1770-1859
5. Those Who Were Enslaved, ca.
6. Civil War and Emancipation, 1859-1865
7. The Larger Reconstruction, 1864-1896
8. Hard-Working People in the Depths of Segregation, 1896-ca. 1919
9. The New Negro, 1915-1932
10. Radicals and Democrats, 1930-1940
11. The Second World War and the Promise of
12. Cold War Civil Rights: 1948-1960
13. Protest Makes a Civil Rights Revolution: 1960-1967
14. Black Power, 1966-1980
15. Authenticity and Diversity in the Era of Hip-Hop, 1980-2004
Epilogue: A Snapshot of African Americans at the Turn of the Twenty-First Century
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
African Americans -- History.
African Americans -- History -- Pictorial works.
African American arts.
African American artists.