Publisher description for Introductory statistics / Sheldon M. Ross.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
In this revised text, master expositor Sheldon Ross has produced a unique work in introductory statistics. The text's main merits are the clarity of presentation, contemporary examples and applications from diverse areas, and an explanation of intuition and ideas behind the statistical methods. To quote from the preface, "It is only when a student develops a feel or intuition for statistics that she or he is really on the path toward making sense of data." Ross achieves this goal through a coherent mix of mathematical analysis, intuitive discussions and examples.
* Ross's clear writing style leads students easily through descriptive and inferential statistics
* Hundreds of exercises assess students' conceptual and computational understanding
* Real data sets from current issues draw from a variety of disciplines
* Statistics in Perspective highlights demonstrate real-world application of techniques and concepts
* Historical Perspectives sections profile prominent statisticians and events
* Chapter Introductions pose realistic statistical situations
* Chapter Summaries and Key Terms reinforce learning
* A detachable Formula Card includes frequently used tables and formulas to facilitate studying
* Enclosed CD-ROM contains programs that can be used to solve basic computation problems
New in this Edition:
* Dozens of new and updated examples and exercises
* New sections on: assessing the linear regression model by analyzing residuals; quality control; counting principles; Poisson random variables
* Detailed edits and enhancements based on users' feedback
* A computerized test bank, plus updates to other ancillaries
* Instructor's Manual
* Student Solutions Manual (ISBN: 0120885514)
* Printed Test Bank
* Computerized Test Bank
* Instructor’s web site with additional online materials
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Mathematical statistics -- Textbooks.