Publisher description for Harrisonburg / Cheryl Lyon and Scott Hamilton Suter.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
First settled in 1737 by members of the Thomas Harrison family, the town of Harrisonburg was recognized by the Virginia House of Delegates in 1780 as the seat of the newly-formed Rockingham County. Always looking forward, the town fathers proclaimed a grand industrial future for the town by the 1890s, and Harrisonburg was incorporated as an independent city in 1916. By the mid-20th century, planned growth, urban renewal, and nearby Interstate 81 had transformed the small town into a metropolis. The remarkable photographs reproduced in Harrisonburg offer glimpses of Harrisonburg's growth from a crossroads trade center to the host of an interstate clover leaf.
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History -- Pictorial works.
Harrisonburg (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.
Harrisonburg (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works.
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg -- Pictorial works.