Table of contents for Desire and truth : functions of plot in eighteenth-century English novels / Patricia Meyer Spacks.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Preamble: Desire and Truth
1. Subtle Sophistries of Desire: The Female Quixote
2. Inventing Good Stories
3. Of Plots and Power: Richardson and Fielding
4. The Ideal Woman and the Plot of Power
5. The Sentimental Novel and the Challenge to Power
6. Fathers and Daughters: Ann Radcliffe
7. Energies of Mind: Novels of the 1790s
8. "The Novel's Wisdom": Austen and Scott
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
English fiction -- 18th century -- History and criticism.
English fiction -- 18th century -- Stories, plots, etc.
Women and literature -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
Psychoanalysis and literature -- Great Britain.
Sentimentalism in literature.
Desire in literature.
Sex in literature.