Table of contents for Natives and newcomers : the cultural origins of North America / James Axtell.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Part I. Contacts
1. Imagining the Other: First Encounters
2. Babel of Tongues: Communciating with the Indians
Part II. Consumption
3. At the Water's Edge: Trading in the Sixteenth Century
4. The First Consumer Revolution: The Seventeenth Century
5. Making Do: Trade in the Eighteenth-Century Southeast
Part III. Conversions
6. The Invasion Within: The Contest of Cultures
7. Dr. Wheelock's Little Red School
8. The White Indians
Part IV. Clashes
9. The Spanish Incursion
10. The Rise and Fall of the Powhatan Empire
11. The Moral Dilemmas of Scalping
Part V. Consequences
12. The Columbian Mosaic
13. Native Reactions to the Invasion of America
14. The Indian impact on English Colonial Culture
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication:
Indians of North America -- First contact with Europeans.
Indians of North America -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
Indians of North America -- Cultural assimilation.