Publisher description for Operating system concepts / Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Baer Galvin, Greg Gagne.
Bibliographic record and links to related information available from the Library of Congress catalog
Information from electronic data provided by the publisher. May be incomplete or contain other coding.
Silberschatz: Operating Systems Concepts, 6/e Windows XP Update Edition, the best selling introductory text in the market, continues to provide a solid theoretical foundation for understanding operating systems. The 6/e Update Edition offers improved conceptual coverage, added content to bridge the gap between concepts and actual implementations and a new chapter on the newest Operating System to capture the attention of critics, consumers, and industry alike: Windows XP.
· Brand new chapter on the newest operating system, Windows XP.
· Brand new chapter on Threads has been added and includes coverage of Pthreads and Java threads.
· Brand new chapter on Windows 2000 replaces Windows NT.
· Out with the old, in with the new! All code examples have been rewritten and are now in C.
· Client-server models and NFS coverage has been moved to an earlier part of the text.
· The sixth edition now offers increased coverage of small footprint operating systems such as PalmOS and real-time operating systems
· Updated! Core material in every chapter has been updated, as has coverage of Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD.
Library of Congress subject headings for this publication: